Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Graduate School Thus Far...

It's been three weeks since I officially started in the MBA program. So far, I'm enjoying it, although I've been a bit more surly in the mornings courtesy of late nights and early mornings. You think I would be used to it with the funeral home, but some days there just isn't enough coffee in the world to wake up whatever part of my brain makes me pretend to be a nice person when dealing with others.

While I am grateful for my accounting class (it's a big review class basically), I wish that we actually got a break sometime during those three hours. (I'm the one sprinting for the bathroom after class.) I also wish that people would not ask questions that put the professor in the position of repeating everything he just said. It makes the class drag on past what it should. All we do is go over the homework.

I'm doing more writing than I anticipated, but my English background is proving to be quite helpful. Thus far, it looks like the professors favor MLA so I haven't had to bother with learning a new format. I mean, granted, I have experience with APA and Chicago as well, but I'm a bit more diverse in my learning set than most of the ESU English grads since they aren't trying to prepare anyone in those programs for anything but K-12 education or academia. I learned APA because... well... someone had to proofread my husband's papers. I love to edit. Don't judge me. ^.^

Probably my favorite class is International Management. My minor was in Ethnic and Gender Studies and it feels a little bit like I'm back taking EGS classes. I find it amusing that my longest papers are going to be 8-10 pages this semester and I never have to read much more than a 20-30 page chapter per class per week. My last semester of my undergrad really taxed me a lot more than this has been.

I don't have a thesis and conferences on my plate with three jobs. Instead, I work a couple of 9 hour days a week, go to class two nights a week (one of which is a day I work), and then I have two classes online. It makes for about a 35-40 hour week between classes, homework, and my job at the funeral home. I have to thank the honors program at ESU for making grad school seem easy by comparison.

All in all, it's certainly not been a bad start to the school season. First exams are coming up in about two to three weeks, at least for me. Good luck to everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2012 Adventurous Inquiry. Powered by Blogger
Blogger by Blogger Templates and Images by Wpthemescreator
Personal Blogger Templates