Saturday, October 5, 2013

Moving forward

“People who dislike budging from their homes or walking beyond their own backyards--and they are always and everywhere in the majority--treat Herodotus' sort, fundamentally unconnected to anyone or anything, as freaks, fanatics, lunatics even.” ― Ryszard Kapuściński, Travels with Herodotus

They say that when history repeats itself, it's because a lesson has been ignored if it was ever learned in the first place. I wonder what that means about my world in a bigger sense, but also in my very personal corner of it. We've got a government that is once more acting with all the functional sense of a broken-down, leaking, faucet in an opulent mansion.

I was beginning to think I no longer had much of the familial wanderlust, but it's been itching at my skin all the way down to the soles of my feet. I wonder, sometimes, if that was how both Kapuscinski and Herodotus felt,in the moments before setting out. I just finished reading Cheryl Strayed's Wild this past week. I wonder if she echoed that strange sense of restlessness where one is giddy almost to the point of nausea.

Getting rid of excess possessions we did not need in the first place has been liberating. But I feel like the surface is just being scratched on what has to change before we can move forward. I spend probably too much time wondering if I'm ready yet for the journey or if I am good enough. Still, I think the first big leap is coming.

Until then, I guess my shins will be sore from all the walking through my own limitations. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2012 Adventurous Inquiry. Powered by Blogger
Blogger by Blogger Templates and Images by Wpthemescreator
Personal Blogger Templates