Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Grad School Semester #2



So, after my experiences last semester, I am down to just three classes, all of which are online. Some of my desire for the online classes was related to the hours at work. Now that I have less hours at work, I have even more time to focus on my class work. Only two of my classes are going on right now. The third doesn't start until the second half of the semester.

I am under doctor's orders to eat better because I've not been getting enough 'good' cholesterol lately. No matter how pithy our food budget is at times, I have to stop eating like a carbohydrate-obsessed freshman. No excuses. Hey, at least I stopped putting sugar in my tea. I am also down to two cups of coffee per day on most days that I drink coffee. I've started enjoying hot tea again on occasion. Some days, I need to not rile myself up which is one of the negative things coffee will do to me when I'm already annoyed or upset. In other news, however, my blood pressure is awesome, no reasons to be fearful of my glucose levels for type II diabetes, and my weight is slowly going down. Although it did fall 40 lbs over the course of three weeks when I hadn't really done anything except stop stressing as much. Yep, I bloat when I'm running on pure adrenaline due to fear/stress/etc. Isn't that an awesome defense mechanism?

I've actually starting taking fish oil pills at my doctor's advice. How crazy is that? For the most part, though, as long as I eat properly and keep active, I'm pretty healthy despite weighing more than I should.

As I have said before, I love working at the funeral home, but learning some personal and political attitudes from coworkers made me more than a little uncomfortable this week. Especially I'm not exactly sure how the topics were reached or deemed appropriate for work and my boss was part of it. I know I'm the square peg in the round hole when it comes to the majority culture in Kansas. I believe that everyone has the right to believe as they wish in America, but I think, especially in a work setting, you should keep your weird religious,  political, and paranoid messy thoughts to yourself. Especially if you start the sentence with "This is going to sound horrible, but I believe..." Yes, it does sound horrible, because that was a horrible thing to say about other human beings. (I'll leave the meat of the conversation to your imaginations.)  In some ways, I'm ashamed of myself, because I kept quiet. The sad truth is that I cannot afford to lose the job right now, but it certainly reminded me that perhaps I need to keep looking and striving for better opportunities. The sad part is, my boss had all my respect up until Monday. It's slightly diminished, but I still feel like I can put those feelings aside to work as hard as I can while I am work. That's pretty much my work focus until I move on to better things.

Codeacademy has been my new 'go to' for refreshing my HTML skills and eventually building up my repertoire to include some web programming. Programming is just something we all need to know for today's job market, so I'm going back to the basics. If anyone has any better or further resources, I would be grateful. My goal is to have a much stronger skill set once I am done with my MBA. I'm still plugging away at my rudimentary Japanese at times as well. (Not nearly like I probably should.)

Here's to a good half-week of classes! Congrats to everyone who is back in school right now. Some of you probably have been there for awhile already. I hope to have more regular updates to the blog this year. It's not exactly a New Year's Resolution, but, I had so many other plans for this blog that I've not yet implemented. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2012 Adventurous Inquiry. Powered by Blogger
Blogger by Blogger Templates and Images by Wpthemescreator
Personal Blogger Templates