Wednesday, March 26, 2014

After Spring Break




The Monday after spring break meant snow for Kansas. It started blowing in and sticking shortly after lunchtime. Most of the snow had melted after five p.m. that day, but there were still a few patches when I was walking to campus yesterday. Spring is always a bit of a loose term around here. At least the weather is being unseasonal in early spring instead of in May or June when we should be getting summer weather. I want the apartment pool to open on time this year, please and thank you.

My team for the 3D competition meets with the Dean of the business college on Thursday (tomorrow) to get raked over the coals to assist with improving the presentation. We present to the judges in a week. We've successfully met with two judges which has improved our pitch already but we need to try to meet with the third judge which might also happen tomorrow.

Most of my Tuesday was devoured by a meeting, finding more relevant data, and constructing the power point. I have to say, though, conventions are being somewhat ridiculous by not tracking their demographics every year. Gen Con, the original, seems to the be the only one out of all 400+ gaming conventions in the U.S. that knows exactly how many visitors they've had since inception and from where these convention-goers hail. I keep thinking there's a potential job position with that for tracking visitor data and putting it into meaningful visual forms for data analysis for organizers. Someone should hire me to do this, don't you think?

This morning, though, I need to make my coffee and finish up my required reading for the week. My goal is to get my exam for international marketing out of the way as well. I have a feeling that Thursday is going to be another time sink of a day especially with one, possibly two, meetings and more work on the presentation to follow. Don't plan on being an entrepreneur if you aren't prepared to work crazy-hard every day. That's the real lesson of this competition, I suppose. That's just it, though, I have never minded working hard so long as there was a purpose to it.

My goal is that by the time I have finished my master's degree next year, our little business is more than capable of standing on its own merit. Or, at the very least, I might have something worthwhile to make my resume standout to Wizards of the Coast or a few other companies I was considering. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2012 Adventurous Inquiry. Powered by Blogger
Blogger by Blogger Templates and Images by Wpthemescreator
Personal Blogger Templates