Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Strange week




The weather is reminiscent of mid-to-late spring when last week we were freezing in our boots with snow and negative wind chills! Gotta love Kansas weather: it requires you to be both hardy and flexible. In the end, though, we're not nearly as hardy with the cold as our neighbors to the north, and everyone's excited for nicer weather. All I could think yesterday was how much I wished the pool were open. Because it felt more like late April to early May than the middle of March. Although, supposedly, we may get some snow tonight. If we do, I wouldn't expect it to stick.

It's only Tuesday and the week before Spring Break. I have a take home exam to work through this week. It's only eight essay questions, but some of them require a lot of work, so, I will be doing a few questions each day until I'm done. Probably straight through to Saturday when it's due. No sense turning something like that in early and/or killing myself to get it done in a day.

Tomorrow is the meeting for my team for further instructions regarding my team's presentation for pitching our business idea. We made the first cut, so I have no reason to expect that we won't place, but I'm sure our competition is stiff. A top prize of $4K has everyone's mouths watering. There were 31 teams apply, but only 20 made it into the semi-finals. I'm not sure, but I think all the teams may have been from ESU even though the local tech college was also involved.

I've also applied for a paid summer marketing internship at one of the offices I worked in as an undergraduate student. No guarantee there, but it is strange how much of this has gone full circle yet again. Maybe I'll learn something vital to my own entrepreneurial pursuits. The extra money, again, would not be bad for our current situation.

The hours at the funeral home and the pub have not been kind to John lately. There's no guarantee with on-call work, so that's nothing new.  But we've both decided it would probably be best for John to find something else with steady hours even if it's only part-time and leave the bouncer job. I think as long as he leaves on good terms, there should be no real issue there. The pay for the funeral home is too good to give up, though, even if it's irregular work.

I suspect this summer will be a slow start to the business, but my goal is that we will have a storefront shortly after I graduate with the MBA. This summer will be about putting some stuff on etsy, getting the website going, and possibly having a booth table at the Dirty Kanza with some merchandise.

One of my goals today is to go walk around the zoo besides the necessary learning and business-building goals. It's supposed to get up to 70 again and I definitely want to take advantage of the good weather. I will probably grab some photos and maybe put a vote in for the new lion cub's name.

Now for a bit of humor to end this post since I've been getting into Magic: The Gathering lately:

Grand Prix Richmond Crackstyle

All I can say is: wear belts, gentlemen, and clothes that fit you or your exposed ass crack might be featured on the Internet. I'm all for encouraging a bit more class in the gamer community especially for widely publicized events.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2012 Adventurous Inquiry. Powered by Blogger
Blogger by Blogger Templates and Images by Wpthemescreator
Personal Blogger Templates