Friday, May 9, 2014

Summer in Kansas

I do believe we experienced at least three days of spring before the harsh 90 degree weather set in. Kansas wanted to remind everyone of her propensity for unpredictable weather this year. So far, I've done well pushing my way through finals. I have one take-home final left that's due on Sunday, and I've made some progress on it.

We may have found a house to rent that will work for us for a bit, although we have some competition in getting it from the sounds of it. We still have two months left on the lease, but the sooner I can get moved out of this place, the better for me. I'm so tired of being cooped up in a tiny apartment.

Last night was my first experience with a Zumba class. I dragged my husband to it, but even he had to admit that he had fun towards the end. It does kick your butt. I think it's much tougher than the Group Power classes we had been going to the past two weeks. So, yes, I finally accepted that I am getting older and not taking care of my body is a 20-something's game. So, yeah, been trying to eat better and workout more. I'm seeing some results already, believe it or not. There's a stronger community element with the gym we joined which I think is working more for me than just trying to force myself to go on my own. Also, I've been taught the incorrect way to use weight equipment since high school so that's been fun to work on as far as retraining the muscles in my arms. That's only twenty years worth of muscle memory. Awesome.

Right now, I am currently reading Black Bodies and Quantum Cats by Jennifer Ouellette. It's an accessible read for science enthusiasts. I'm also reading through the first volume of a manga for the Infernal Devices. And, as always, I'm picking away at Herodotus' the Histories. Currently, I'm reading his comparative analysis regarding the religious differences between the Hellenes and the Persians. Interestingly enough, the Persians did not believe in erecting temples or idols, because their view of the gods did not include human forms, as such... no such things were needed. Make of that what you will. Herodotus was, after all, the father of unbiased investigative reporting so he was only attempting to report what people told him and what he observed himself.

Today is payday, although not the big one that's going to allow me to settle my rent for the rest of the lease here and put a deposit on the rental house if it's not already been rented out by that time. What will happen, however, is that some necessary smaller bills will be dealt with and life will continue to get easier from here on out.

My next big goal is cleaning this apartment and getting rid of some more stuff we do not need so that the apartment is "ready" to be inspected when we move out near the end of July. It's entirely possible that we'll just be moving into a 2 bedroom apartment but I want to keep our options open.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2012 Adventurous Inquiry. Powered by Blogger
Blogger by Blogger Templates and Images by Wpthemescreator
Personal Blogger Templates